PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brit pilots working in the USA
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2024, 21:54
bafanguy

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Lady Speedbird
So my choice is the 73 at UAL (last time on type 13 years ago on the -500 or Delta (AAL will announce day after tomorrow an order for 100 planes, the majority Airbus).

I don't care about the FAA certification I have >6,000 hrs PIC on the 777. I care more about how long it will take. I just don't want to downgrade. I have a pretty good seniority where I am but I am reading about absurd pay rates on the US.

I'd like to have a look at DAL but they are heavily Airbus.
Lady S,

From what you've said about your understanding of US airlines, I have to say I have failed to properly explain the situation a person such as yourself would face coming here to fly for a legacy. I'm not Hemingway...sorry.

It makes absolutely no difference to a new hire whether an airline is "...heavily Airbus." or not. NO...DIFFERENCE. It should not be a factor in choosing a destination airline spot.

For example, despite your vast B777 PIC experience, if you were to go to UAL as a new hire and get a B777 F/O slot you'd go to school as if you couldn't even SPELL B777. I know of a guy who went from a ME airline as a B77 captain to UAL...and that was his experience. No surprises there.

A new hire pilot will get whatever airplane and/or base seniority allows. That's as succinctly as I know how to say it. The captain slots going to new hires at UAL or DL are wild anomalies and can/will be undone at the first major economic downturn...or when those senior to them decide they want to be a captain after all.

Sounds like you've got a sweet deal where you care. Circumstances here do not appear to suit your priorities. No problem: horses for courses, right ?

I'm sure you'll make the right choice for yourself.