PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brit pilots working in the USA
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2024, 19:15
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
I assume the cost would depend on what the prospective student has going into a training regimen. If one were getting the FAA ATP from scratch and on one's own with minim total flight time, a school like the one you cited might be one way to go.

Those coming from an extensive large airplane background and only wanting to get the ATP in an airplane they've been flying and just hook up with an outfit in KMIA to get the ticket in a sim after taking the ATP-CTP course and written exam. Many have done it that way.

I don't recall anyone offering up the price they paid doing it that way but I'm going to guess it wasn't $15K. Of course, I could always be wrong...
FWIW, I used AATPS in '05 to get my FAA ATP, after getting my FAA ME CPL/IR, IN '98, and flying in the EU on my JAA ATPL for 7 years. Came in with over 4K turbine, 2K TPIC (FK50/DHC8). 1 day for the GLEIM written, 2 days for the prep and check ride in a twin comanche. Probably the only reason I passed was that the examiner knew I would go to airline training and never seat foot in a piston. Think it was $2K. But I have no idea if that is still an option today.