PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question on AUTOLAND
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2024, 19:45
Aperture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok thank you for your answers.
So it seems that legally, the aircraft capability on FMA [CAT III DUAL/SINGLE / CAT II / CAT I] is linked to the type of ILS approach flown:

FMA CAT III DUAL --> you can perform AUTOLAND with no DH (meaning automatic approach + FLARE + ROLL OUT)
FMA CAT III SINGLE --> you can perform automatic approach until DH=50ft, then LEGALLY you have to disconnect to fly the last 50ft manually, but TECHNICALLY the aircraft can still land by itself without intervening manually, it is just fail passive, so if another failure occurs, the aircraft may deviate from its path, so this is why we take it manually for safety
FMA CAT II --> you can perform automatic approach until DH=100ft, then LEGALLY you have to disconnect to fly the last 100ft manually, but TECHNICALLY the aircraft can still land by itself without intervening manually, it is just fail passive, so if another failure occurs, the aircraft may deviate from its path, so this is why we take it manually for safety

But for FMA CAT I, it means there is no autopilot engaged, so the approach can't be flown automatically right ? So it is not linked to a CAT I ILS approach with a DH of 200 ft, it has no link to that (whereas for CAT II and CAT III it is linked to the CAT II and CAT III ILS approach with their respective DH)

I hope I can make myself understood, I want to fully understand the philosophy behind, tell me if something is not correct in what I said above, thank you for your help

Last edited by Aperture; 1st Mar 2024 at 20:08.