PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brit pilots working in the USA
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2024, 14:24
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
As Alfred E Newman said, 'What, me worry?' Just curious. My taking of the ATP was for a specific job in Europe on an N registered 727. They wintered in the Caribbean. Sounded nice.

I'd got plenty of hours under the proverbial belt and had a social security number, just because you could in those days. I took the study for the exam seriously, marooning myself out at SIL's place at Canyon Lake. TX. It was so cold, the waterbed started to get stiff. I studied in an anorak and woolly hat. Ten days of slog.

I walked into an office of Flight Crew Testing Inc., at San Antonio. Randy greeted me from under his ten gallon hat. I knew he was randy cos it was cast in his buckle. His cowboy boots were crossed on his desk. Yes, his feet were in them. "You've got six hours.".

After an hour I didn't know what to do. I spent half and hour going over some questions and writing to Oklahoma about one of their performance questions. I 'proved' that all four answers were wrong. I still didn't know what Randy looked like as he'd never looked up from his book. Probably something like, 'How we Won the West'

I'd done the thing in the Fed's office with my UK licence and logbooks. The flying was straightforward except for the fact I had great difficulty with the RT. I prided myself that my UK RT was very precise and BBCish. Now I was in a land that I knew well, I could even speak TEX-MEX, but the machine gun rattle of ATC tested my processing and patience. It was as though they were all vying for "Coolest RT ramble of the year."

One thing 'Dutch', a hard bitten old skipper, asked me was 'Going towards a beacon, how soon before arrival should your speed be stable?' I answered with great confidence. "Three minutes." He kind of just looked at me in a 'I wonder if he's right, and I've been wrong all these years.' kind of way. Come to think of it, I still don't know the answer.

Oh, by the way, I was driven into San Antonio from the lake by a retired British Airways 1011 captain who'd settled there with his American wife. Dickie Davis??? not sure.