PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REX to transition to ATRs, start domestic jet ops
Old 29th Feb 2024, 21:14
MickG0105

Received 233 Likes on 112 Posts
I suspect that pilot numbers is amongst the lesser of their worries.

Crewing issues notwithstanding they managed to increase capacity by around 13.7 percent. Bums on seats increased by less than half a percent (that's the number of bums, not the size thereof). Rex's core business was losing just shy of $136,500 a day on low 70s load factors for the six months to 31 December 2023. If they're still planning on bringing on more capacity over the next few months they need to do something quickly about pax numbers/revenue.

I'll go back to what I was saying in a different thread about how you can tell whether your marketing is working or not; if it is not translating into pax numbers, and the transfer of cash from said pax to your coffers, then it is not working, no matter how "good" it looks or sounds.

Separately, while it is at the edges, you do have to wonder as to the mechanics of losing $2 million on $4.2 million worth of training revenue. Rex's FY23 results presentation talked up the "Influx of foreign cadets at the pilot academies" as a positive for FY24; that certainly did not play out over the first half.