PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 777 PIO?
Thread: 777 PIO?
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2024, 09:28
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by B2N2
Exactly this ^^^
The force feedback is obviously fake in a fly-by-wire aircraft and on the 777 I find the aileron ‘feel’ too light compared to the pitch ‘feel’.
With roll lighter then pitch it’s very common to see a little wing rocking when pilots are hand flying.
I think some of that comes from the style of input. Flying the aeroplane through the use of short, sharp jabs simply sends ripples up and down the wing and fuselage and does very little to change the attitude; measured and prolonged control inputs are what you need and the airframe behaves exactly as it should, which for something over 200ft long and wide that can weigh nearly 350T is actually appropriate. If you find yourself rapidly going from one side to the other on the controls you need to damp it out. Low gain pilot and all that.

I have witnessed numerous times people fighting “turbulence” on takeoff and soon as the AP goes in, the “turbulence” disappears, as if by magic! I think some pilots have unfortunately trained themselves to be continually moving the controls, even in smooth air. It just isn’t necessary, especially as the 777 will pretty much stay where you put it as that’s what it’s designed to do.

I don’t know of any commercial aircraft with fully powered flying controls that doesn’t “fake” the control forces, FBW or not. Personally, I find all the controls a bit heavy, but that’s me.