PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus Flight Controls Question:
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2024, 01:42
Coupe84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
Just to add to the previous two answers to the OP question:

Your side-stick inputs do not cancel the FBW system. The FBW looks at the ADIRS, your side-stick inputs, the current attitude and feedbacks from accelerometers etc to compute a flight control surface response to all those inputs. With no control inputs, the FBW will (try to) maintain the last commanded attitude from either you or the autopilot. (Within limits).

One way of thinking about Airbus FBW is to imagine that the autopilot disconnect switch is in a different part of the control chain.

A traditional chain with autopilot engaged is :

Navigation guidance - Autopilot - # - Control surfaces.

In a conventional jet like that; the autopilot disconnect switch, '#' is between the autopilot and the control surfaces, so when you disconnect, your inputs go directly to the control surfaces.

With Airbus FBW the chain has an extra element :

Navigation guidance - Autopilot - # - FBW - Control surfaces.

When you disconnect in an Airbus FBW, your inputs join at '#' and go into the FBW, not to the control surfaces*.

*This is a simplification, (and refers to Normal Law), but it should help to appreciate why you can get into PIOs in Airbus FBW. Especially if you have not been trained to use the side-stick properly, (and no TRE ever explained the side-stick properly to me - I had to work it out for myself).

Anyway, just be aware that with the autopilot disconnected, the FBW is still in the circuit and will still be working the control surfaces to maintain the last commanded attitude. So don't stir the stick, just move the side-stick until you have the attitude you want and as soon as it is there, return the side-stick to neutral:

Correct - neutral. Correct - neutral. Correct - neutral etc.

Your inputs are "added" to the FBW commands, so In strong turbulence you might need to hold full deflection for a moment, to 'pick up a wing' for example. But as soon as the wing starts picking up, return the side-stick to neutral.

Airbus FBW helps you and assists with the flying task
Thanks Uplinker. You are right. No one ever explained this to me and the FCOM seems to have no insights into this.