PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATO vs Russia
Thread: NATO vs Russia
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2024, 20:26
Lonewolf_50

Received 452 Likes on 285 Posts
Originally Posted by GlobalNav
I suppose that's technically true, so I will ask, does a military response under Article 5 require USA approval?
The US could do what Obama did in Western Africa and Lybia in the teens, and lead from the rear. But I doubt that is how the Op Plans are written for a "REFORGER" style response.
As a practical matter, take a look at the 30,000+ already in Germany (permanently), the 10,000+ already in Italy (Permanently) and recent deployments
Sep 11, 2023 · Roughly 4,500 soldiers with the Army’s 3rd Infantry Division are in the process of deploying to Poland and the Baltic states as part of an ongoing U.S.-led effort to reinforce NATO’s ...
And more recently.
Feb. 2, 2022 | By Jim Garamone | DOD News
The United States will move approximately 3,000 service members to Romania, Poland and Germany in response to Russia's continuing build-up of forces on its western border with Ukraine and in Belarus, Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby said today during a news conference.
If conditions for Article V trigger the US Forces are already there and seem unlikely to avoid being in the fight.
Beyond that, the ability to phase in significant air assets (critical for any rapid response plan) is already in place in a variety of op plans.

I will remind you all that Mr Trump is not the president. You are taking counsel of your fears.

With all of that said,
Mr Biden's Pentagon team has announced that the US Army is due to cut 24,000 from the force structure. (The news article I read suggested that this is tied to recruiting issues, but I am not sure what the truth is.
That sends a bit of a mixed message, as I see it.