PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Industry - Too old??
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2004, 04:50
Mr Magoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd want to be the last person to dampen that dewy eyed enthusiasm we all have when trying to convince ourselves to chuck in a solid job for the wonderful world of CPL/IR BUT:

I started my ATPL writtens on my38th birhthday in June 2000. I'd passed them all by Christmas that year and did the flying part of the course by the end of April 2001.

Sent off lots of CV's along the lines of gissa job I'm 38 and have a fresh new CPL/IR and 400 Hrs total (30 multi - wow).

Unsurprisingly no job offers but the advice was "do an MCC course" I spent a couple of grand on one and finished it the last week of August 2001 - sent of lots of CV's dated 10th September 2001.......no job offers

"Ah you need more hours mate" said those in the know, so in 2002 did an FI course and am now instructing with about 1100 Hrs in the 'ole logbook.

I've just talked to an airline about why they're not interested when I fit their recruiting criterea as regards hours etc and the reply is "you're too old and we'd regard you as a training risk"

Asking around the industry - (and at the BALPA conference last october) - this seems to be a widely held view that someone of my age (41 now) ain't got what it takes to cope with a type rating course. Strange really because I do ATPL groundschool lecturing part-time was awarded a scholarship for my FI rating and have an engineering backgroud. Quite how that makes me more of a training risk I'm not sure!

Anyway - cut to the chase - I'd be VERY wary of going down the rocky road at your age, who knows, maybe you'll get a job the day after you qualify, I'd planned to be employed within six months of qualifying. That was nearly three years ago now. My financial state is in pretty poor shape, I estimate it's put me back at least a good, (bad?,) five years in pure financial security terms.

As I said at the start I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but I've a feeling there are a lot of us "oldies" out there finding the same response from prospective employers.

But as the man said you shouldn't have joined if you can't take a joke!

Magoo