PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More AFCS Mayhem....
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2024, 10:02
212man

Received 343 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by HeliComparator
This is definitely a valid point. With a highly automated aircraft you need to have the same training and skill in manual flight, but also you need to have a lot of training in the use of the automation. So the overall training “burden” is definitely greater. But then if all that training is done properly, the overall level of safety is a lot better.

I've been out of the game for 10 years now but I wonder if the CAA policy for recurrent training and testing still mostly revolves around manual flying skills, with skills in the use automation being an afterthought? Or has CAA extricated itself from the Stone Age yet?
Hi HC, I believe it has moved on from the heady days of 2004 where the TSLG minutes documented that the CAA would allow the use of ALT hold on a proficiency check, while copying down the ATIS! I think a combination of factors - the FOTIs being exposed to the modern types with their currency flying with operators, and the Head of Training Standards having a 'road to Damascus' moment after he participated in the S92 JOEB, and switched views by 180 degrees.