PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 777 PIO?
Thread: 777 PIO?
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2024, 15:39
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBernoulli
Only in turns up to 30 degrees angle of bank; for turns using over 30 degrees AoB, some elevator back pressure is required. 😁
Yes, that’s true, but for normal passenger flying you aren’t doing that unless you really have to. If you want to get really geeky it also has (soft) envelope protection, but again you shouldn’t really be encountering that in normal ops.

Prior to flying the 777, all my previous aircraft types were non-FBW. I found the 777 to be twitchy in roll, particularly at the higher weights of the usual operational take-offs. When conducting simulator exercises, I found the 'slimmed down' secondary control modes (as opposed to normal control modes) to be more to my liking in terms of feel.
And that is what makes aviation interesting, as a lot of it is still subjective. With >10,000hrs on the 777 “twitchy” is the last word I would use to describe the handling, but each to their own.

In particular, the secondary roll mode functioned in a manner that was much more to my liking, possibly largely due to spoilers 5 and 10, out of a total of 14 spoilers, being locked out.
PFCs off is even better, if you want to go completely hardcore.

I suppose it depends whether you are comparing it to similar non-FBW airliners, or aircraft in general. An Extra 300 owner might call the 777 slow and ponderous but compared to the Spruce Goose it’s more like an F-16...