Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn’t make sense

Someone please clarify;

SECBIR Route:
15 hrs IRR.
15 hrs hour building in IMC.
Credit 30 hrs.
10 hrs SECBIR at £300 p/h = £3000

Now to convert to MEIR. You do 3 hrs in the sim, then 2 hrs in the ME plane.

You have essentially bypassed the requirements of needing 15 hrs multi time and you will not have an MEP rating (correct or not?). How can you take a skills test in something which you don’t have a rating? And why does the 15 hr rule exist anyway if you can bypass it?!

ME time 2 x 600 = £1200
sim time 3 x £200 = £600
skills test = £926

Total Cost IRR + conversion = £5000

Costs involved from IRR To MECBIR
IRR cancels out
Hour building cancels out
Credits cancel out (you can claim up to 35 hrs for MECBIR but 5 need to be ME anyway which you won’t have)
15 hrs ME at £600 p/h = £9000

you will have a MEP rating in this case I believe as you are combining the MEP and IR.

so a saving of £4000 at face value (read below). But the bold may be the catch someone explain!

And with the conversion route you will only have three hours sim which is minimal money wasted towards CPL hours. In the the straight IRR->MECBIR you have no sim hours. So total saving is knocked down to roughly £3400 (+2 actual flight hours at whatever the hourly cost).

you could in theory use that £3400 if you can’t do minimum hours in the conversion route. That’s an extra 5 hours ME before break-even.

Although it gets a little more complicated when you factor in hiring for a skills test. The best option would be to do the SECBIR then the ME conversion when your SEIR is due for renewal.

im doing my IRR at the moment which I expect will cost me £3000 (minus skills test and aircraft hire and rating application). And then spend £4000 for the SECBIR (with skills test but minus hire and rating). Then roughly £3000 for the conversion time + test (minus rating and hire). So about £10000 from 0 to a full MEIR (minus ratings and hire.

Factor in with contingency's and hire etc. anyone with a cheaper way?

Last edited by CAP A330; 27th Feb 2024 at 11:18.