PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Odysseus Lunar Lander
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2024, 10:28
TURIN

Received 206 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
I stand corrected on my incorrect points.

But really, to not test or arm the LIDAR with the certain knowledge that any sideways movement would result in a topple....... That does not seem to be the actions of a top notch team.

Given that a non functioning LIDAR could and did jeopardise the whole mission and all the scientific payloads the investors had paid for; it does seem odd to me that there was only one LIDAR and that it was not tested on the launchpad before lift off. Didn't the Saturn V go through an extensive testing and checking procedure of all systems before takeoff?

I also wonder why designers don't use the same vehicle designs that have worked successfully before, e.g. the Mars landers. There's too much at stake to try out new designs, I would have thought ?
I agree about the testing. The prelaunch checklist no doubt will be scrutinised somewhat. Either a check was missed or a box was ticked when it shouldn't have been.
Short answers to your last point is, money and mission objectives.
This was supposed to be a relatively inexpensive pathfinder mission. Dropping a 'Curiosity' type rover on the moon would have been hugely expensive and considering the latitude and rocky terrain, not a particularly good idea.