PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to Eliminate Spyware, Adware, and Random Popups
Old 28th Jan 2004, 03:21
goates

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amanoffewwords - I don't think any rational person would claim that Macs are 100% perfect, just that they suffer from from far fewer problems than PCs. Even if things were reversed and Macs had 90% of the market, they still wouldn't have as many problems as Apple does put some thought into security and not just randomly including new "features" into the operating system. Most of the recent security/virus issues with Windows took advantage of one of the many bundled programs and not the core operating system itself, but the end result is the same, thousands of annoyed users and thousand of dollars wasted.

Up until the last year, Microsoft has constantly refused to even consider the consequences of the new features they add. For example, can someone give me a legitimate reason as to why you would want an email program that automatically ran or opened any attachments it received? MS Outlook and Outlook Express are the only programs that I know of that did this. Most email programs force users to download the file first. I know this won't stop everyone from opening files that they shouldn't, but as the many virus writers found, it made for an easy way to propagate a virus.

I have a PC at home because I like to play with the hardware and software (I have Linux and WindowsXP on it). When I want to get work done though, I would rather use a Mac as it lets me just get on with the job I'm trying to do, and doesn't force to think about the computer or operating system.

goates

Last edited by goates; 28th Jan 2004 at 03:39.