PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 27th Feb 2024, 08:02
umop apisdn

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by blvkpanther
The E3 Visa is a reciprocal visa agreement between the Australian & United States governments (called the Skilled Work Visa in Australia).For E3’s to be considered at risk, it would require either government to walk back their commitment. There is the very real possibility of this happening, but I believe the political risk/fallout of alienating a close ally would make such a move inconceivable.

“IF” it did happen, I doubt our visas would be ripped up and we’d be deported. More likely, E3 visas would not be renewed upon expiry meaning you’d have time to look for a new job.

In regards to termination by the employer, in short: they can, but they can’t. We’re employed under the same contract as local employees and have the same benefits and protections. If the company systematically started refusing to renew E3 visas, it wouldn’t happen without a fight.

Yes, there is risk to accepting a job that requires a visa. But working in aviation is inherent with risk. I genuinely believe that my job is more secure than any job being offered by any of the Australian carriers.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
I'm not sure if the skilled work visa is purely reciprocal as other countries are allowed to apply for it. You don't have to be American for one, but you have to be Australian for an E3. IMO to me it's pretty bonkers that only by virtue of our citizenship we have the opportunity to come over and actually get somewhere in this otherwise crazy competitive industry. Many have found their own way into legacies and long term careers at this point which would have been impossible without the initial visa. Not even Canadians can get here as easily as Australians can. The existence of this visa is so stupidly lucky for us. It's also super small in comparison. I'm not sure if its even a blip on the radar of the people that make immigration decisions, hopefully we can keep it that way.

Even better, at a few airlines the E3 represents a critical mass, which has some pretty significant impacts on a seniority list if all were to have to leave at once.
The following users liked this post: