PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific leaders taken us to the bottom in a vertical dive!
Old 27th Feb 2024, 04:01
Meursault

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SIDS N STARS
Disneyland, Concerts, other outdoor activities, there goes a large chunk of your salary, more so in HK because these things are considerably more expensive and no better quality than any other western countries.

https://insidethemagic.net/2016/06/w...sive-to-visit/

The US Disney parks are way more expensive. Not that I care personally, you would have to pay me to go, but for the sake of the argument.

Ever rented a car in the US? It starts with 9.99 and at the end it's 50. Same goes for the "low tax". It does not paint the real picture. Check out the tuition fees at US universities, cost of a meal at a restaurant ( 20% "tip" is now considered the lowest acceptable) or groceries and cost of real estate in the cities. Also add the annual real estate tax. My place in HK would cost me 15 000 USD tax every year, until I die. Of course you always could live on a farm in Kansas and marry your cousin, but the truth is that the US is not cheap wherever it is nice. And the 420k pay for 14 days at Kalitta is a phantasy.

Having said that, it is true that you can have a good lifestyle with a major captain salary, just very difficult to achieve as foreigner, I certainly don't want to bash the US in general, it is a great country, but the discussion is a bit pointless since 99% of those working for Cathay do not have a green card. Not sure why this US argument always pops up here, it's a red herring.

Last edited by Meursault; 27th Feb 2024 at 04:20.