PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Odysseus Lunar Lander
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2024, 01:29
TURIN

Received 206 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by what next
I have been following events and see nothing but failure. Government funded space exploration may be slow and expensive, but it works fine and produces results that teach us things we could not even imagine. No private enterprise would habe given us instruments like the Hubble and James Webb Space telescopes because there is no money to be made from them. As if money were important.
What failures? The peregrine mission is the only private spacecraft I can think of that completely failed. All the others seem to have at least partially fulfilled their brief.
As for Hubble.
I'm sorry but that is not true. Hubble didn't work, it's mirror was not manufactured correctly. It was a complete white elephant until it was fixed... At great expense.
I'll give you the JWT. A remarkable achievement.

When you say you've seen nothing but failure do you include SpaceX Falcon 9 and Heavy launches? Over 200 successful consecutive launches and recoveries. Even the Dragon capsules and fairings are reusable.
Meanwhile the Boeing Starliner is yet to be crew certified.
As for the SLS and Orion programs, a complete waste of money, decades late and not reusable.