PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S-92 Loss of control event - report
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2024, 13:25
212man

Received 338 Likes on 190 Posts
I've just read it and found it be 59 pages of very little real analysis or new facts, and a lot of ambiguity and contradiction. At one point the wind is said to be 42 kts, and another it was 33 kts. At one point the aircraft accelerated to 28 kts and another it is 35 kts - neither of which tally with the wind speeds. Then we start talking about Somatogravic illusion - really? This illusion requires a significant acceleration, and was first discovered during the early jet age in the late 1940s. By definition, a helicopter taking off into a 33 kts wind and accelerating to 35 kts is not in this regime! Actually, I don't think I have ever encountered truly rapid acceleration in a helicopter with the exception being when pointing very nose down (up to 90 degrees). However, the acceleration is mainly due to gravity and so you do not encounter the 'push in the back' required for SGI (and obviously done in good visual conditions - but the physics is the same).

Cyclic force trim release function - talk about groundhog day! Are we really having to discuss how to use the FTR in 2024? Almost a minute of no intervention or assistance by the captain? I know we can all be 'armchair critics' (or Monday morning quarterbacks), but I cannot get my head around this. The captain was an ex-military instructor, although that is almost irrelevant as any captain should intervene within a few seconds of a situation like this developing.

As for 'blowback' - give me a break! At least VRS was never mentioned at any point......

The internal investigation team also wanted to listen to the cockpit voice recorder in order to better understand what had happened. In accordance with internal procedures, they asked for the pilots’ consent to do so. The pilots did not consent to this"
I find this extremely damming on many levels, and cannot fathom what kind of personal safety culture would lead to this decision. My own view would be to have as much information as possible in the report, to help prevent some other poor crew having the same - or worse! - happen to them, or even it happen again to the same crew. I know from my own experience, that the recollection of what was said and not said during an incident, are often not what the CVR reveals!

Disappointing on so many levels.

Last edited by 212man; 21st Feb 2024 at 13:42.
The following 6 users liked this post by 212man: