PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Serbia E195 runs into runway lights at Belgrade
Old 21st Feb 2024, 09:13
Xhi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanetFlight
Basically NO T/O is allowed by our local ATC from any taxiway intersection, be it a 747 or a Piper Cub...only allowed from normal rwy beginning, be it 28 or 10.
We have two twys by 90 degrees angles with the RWY in use, F or C, and two rapid exit, G and D.
Rwy 2.490 meters, good enough for almost every living plane out there, and also some nice RESA//CWY.
For instance, recently a team of very light planes (those who do Acrobatics at night with lights and flares and bla bla bla) were denied to TO from any intersection, despite the fact both pilots explained their very machines could TO and land within "a mail / postage stamp"
Last summer a super STOL Quest Kodiak wich we all know can land in a Pizza, was also denied for the very surprise of both pilots...wich they calmly then accepted and taxied till the very beginning of 28.
The reason given by ATC, and totally accepted and understood by all pilots without further discussions on the frequency, is the fact LPFR has no published declared distances from any instersection, except those published for the entire RWY, even though some cases are more than obvious to be feasible and doable.
So, im not trying to input any fault here to pilots or atc'ers in this BEG incident, however i thought it could be curious this fact here, wich for sure could also be used by other Airports Authorities and ATC services around the world, in some particular cases.
I'm no CPL but have 3300 hrs as PPL. In my almost 40 years flying career I don't think I took off from any other point on the runway but the start more than 20 times, most usually when behind a commercial aircraft and asked by ATC to take of from some midpoint to beat the other plane that has to taxi to the far end. I fly a Zenit 750 that routinely takes off in under 150 m, "can take off & land on a postage stamp" as mentioned above. My shortest run is probably around 50 m with some headwind, but I always plan to start TO from the beginning of the RWY, no matter how long it may be. That's the way I was taught back then and it was a very strict requirement.

Yes, I've heard all sorts of arguments why I could/should start the TO from some mid-point, from time, fuel burn, tyre wear and whatever. But I will always insist on havin as much RWY ahead as I can. I see it as a matter of self-discipline. So I find the LPFR approach very reasonable and do not see why LYBE, or any other airport, could not do the same.