PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Serbia E195 runs into runway lights at Belgrade
Old 21st Feb 2024, 03:01
JanetFlight

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Regarding this very incident here i cant stop thinking about the local policy we have here at the airport i presently work and wich our Colleagues in the ATC/Tower have regarding Intersections Take Offs.
Talking about LPFR, Faro, Southern Portugal.
Basically NO T/O is allowed by our local ATC from any taxiway intersection, be it a 747 or a Piper Cub...only allowed from normal rwy beginning, be it 28 or 10.
We have two twys by 90 degrees angles with the RWY in use, F or C, and two rapid exit, G and D.
Rwy 2.490 meters, good enough for almost every living plane out there, and also some nice RESA//CWY.
For instance, recently a team of very light planes (those who do Acrobatics at night with lights and flares and bla bla bla) were denied to TO from any intersection, despite the fact both pilots explained their very machines could TO and land within "a mail / postage stamp"
Last summer a super STOL Quest Kodiak wich we all know can land in a Pizza, was also denied for the very surprise of both pilots...wich they calmly then accepted and taxied till the very beginning of 28.
The reason given by ATC, and totally accepted and understood by all pilots without further discussions on the frequency, is the fact LPFR has no published declared distances from any instersection, except those published for the entire RWY, even though some cases are more than obvious to be feasible and doable.
So, im not trying to input any fault here to pilots or atc'ers in this BEG incident, however i thought it could be curious this fact here, wich for sure could also be used by other Airports Authorities and ATC services around the world, in some particular cases.

About those colleagues above who wrote about London City, i think its more peculiar the case of Santos Dumont in Rio, wich one rwy is 1260 meters and the other 1323 mts, and used by AZUL embraers similar to BEG incident, and even GOL 737-800 and also TAM/LATAM Airbuses 319s.

Last edited by JanetFlight; 21st Feb 2024 at 03:22.