PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Serbia E195 runs into runway lights at Belgrade
Old 20th Feb 2024, 20:12
Request Orbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Globaliser
How do we know that no E195 has ever taken off from there? We do know that the TORA was 1,273 metres. Is that not enough in the right conditions?
Equally, how many people have actually seen max performance takeoffs of modern jets? Just because you watch someone use 1700-1800 metres to take off as standard doesn’t mean the aircraft isn’t capable of doing a lot better. If the pilot says they can do it, who are you to disagree? For an ATCO to even police the takeoff in the way being suggested requires so many assumptions about things they’d never know - or be expected to know - that it’s not even close to being reasonable.

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong about this, but I think that from to time to time E190s/E195s have been known to take off from LCY / EGLC, where the TORA is (AIUI) currently 1,199 metres.
A large proportion of EGLC movements are still E190s (and still include E1s) and the published TORA is still 1199m. And off runway 27 the climb out needs to clear Canary Wharf, which implies a slightly better rate of climb is available on the E190 there than the E195 showed here.

Last edited by Request Orbit; 20th Feb 2024 at 20:26.