PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Serbia E195 runs into runway lights at Belgrade
Old 19th Feb 2024, 13:58
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver99
I understood it to be Air Traffic Control not Air Traffic Conditional? ATC are within their rights to tell pilots to go around if they have the equipment to alert them. And to stop take-offs if the situation so requires. So why pick and choose when you can and cannot intervene?

Ultimately pilots pay the price with their lives and ATC with their paperwork. This boils down to a pretty basic pilot error that could have been prevented by A) better pilots B) more assertive ATC.
Gee, are you really a Boeing ATPL as your pseudo suggests ? We controllers do not " pick and choose" when to intervene, we follow the procedures we are trained on , just like you. Refusing or Canceling a take off clearance when a vehicle enters the runway is part of the procedures, but definitively not questioning the PIC TOW and TORA calculations. If the Embraer had been empty and carrying minimum fuel it would have made it ,, and controllers have no way or knowing these factors and make the calculations , this is the PIC area. , It is not about being "more assertive" it is about following established safety procedures. The PIC was, ( as I heard) asked by the controller to confirm his decision to use D5 and was given the TORA left in case he miscalculated. Apparently again , he confirmed.. His decision period. .( again waiting to hear the R/T to make sure what I was told is 100% correct)