PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - a320 follow FDs in turbulance
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2024, 07:58
speedrestriction
I REALLY SHOULDN'T BE HERE

Received 105 Likes on 35 Posts
I believe what the captain is suggesting is for you to alter the pitch (and angle of attack) to minimise the gust induced displacement from the original trajectory.

I would suggest that until you are experienced on the aircraft that you don’t follow this advice for several reasons.

A good place to start is to watch and see how the AP flies in these conditions. When you are PM observe how your colleagues fly in these conditions. If you are manually flying with the flight directors on, make smooth corrections towards the flight directors remembering that the FDs are dynamic and are tuned in anticipation of there being a lag from indication to reaction by the pilot. Smooth, smooth, smooth and no large amplitude inputs unless absolutely necessary.

When I was converting onto the Airbus an instructor gave a very useful demonstration in the simulator of manual flying with extremely rapid corrections to the FD bars at a rate quicker than the FD was able to adjust its command - a stable approach very quickly became high amplitude vertical oscillation. He never flew in an opposite sense to what the FDs commanded yet still managed to make the approach completely unstable. The lesson is that the FDs are only useful when using the correct, smooth flying technique.