PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you give to Ukraine
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2024, 19:31
Donkey497

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
A10's AH64's, Cobra's & derivatives.

I'd also give them free reign at AMARC

I kind of think we should all be very rapidly looking towards an A-10 "Mark 2" with improved survivability and much better self defence capabilities and a fleet order of several hundred units. The other lesson that is coming across clear and loud is that for all the technology that is available to the modern armed forces, you need to be able to replace kit quicker than it seems to be made. Fine in peacetime, but sod all use in a conflict. Also having enough usable reservists so that you can "rotate & replace" onto the battlefield should be ringing loud alarm bells for the MoD, given the historic numbers just for BAOR was 80,000 regulars, in comparison to today's entire army consisting of just under 76,000 plus just over 4,000 Gurkha full timers and around 25,000 reservists.

Should the UK need to pursue diplomacy by more muscular means, at present, I feel we may have an issue. I think we'd need much more units of much simpler & robust equipment [too much complex technology is all too easily jammed & disrupted.] and considerably increased numbers of non electronically jammable, non-internet enabled biological units [i.e. pairs of boots on the ground].

Without wishing to pander to the more rabid anti-immigration factions of the Brexit brigade, I feel that adopting some of the policies of the Roman Empire/Army might provide an instant solution. Serve in the infantry with good conduct for 25 years you get citizenship & full entitlement to social benefits on retirement. Food Board & clothing free while you serve, but I don't think the Roman views on decimation for cowardice would be entirely compatible with current human rights legislation..

Last edited by Donkey497; 18th Feb 2024 at 19:38. Reason: incomplete
The following users liked this post: