PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 Crash @ Lagos
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2004, 21:03
feet dry

topman999…this is sick.

I very rarely post as I prefer to read and learn; your perseverance to maintain the rightness of your belief in this matter is becoming somewhat distasteful.

The thread originally began with the 747 crash at Lagos after an appalling error by ATC, thankfully not a soul was lost though a great deal of money probably will be.

The discussion then turned to the 737/Lear incident which I have followed with interest; it has been your ramblings which have finally led me to contribute and the fact that lives were lost following an entirely avoidable set of circumstances.

You asked aerocatS2A:

“AerocatS2A,

So you have never seen an aircraft on 2 miles final while another aircraft is departing ?”

The answer he well probably give is that yes he may well have seen an aircraft on 2 miles final while another is departing. The difference will be however is that the arriving aircraft will, in all likelihood, not have a crew trying to contend with a single engine approach (and possibly other system failures). According to various sources, the ATC had 30minutes notification of the Lear emergency. That is 30minutes in which to plan and activate a suitable response. The 737 should never, not ever, have been given permission to line up or depart; not in front of an aircraft trying to operate beyond it’s normal flight envelope. It was the single engine go around which the Lear crew attempted which caused the loss of control, which was directly attributable to the 737 being allowed to enter the active runway for departure.

Now (if you are a pilot) please, for the sake of the crew who lost their lives stop defending the woeful error of judgement on the part of the ATC.

If you are not a pilot and are merely trying to stir, then you are one sick puppy my friend.