PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FRA/EDDF noise abatement requirements
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2024, 07:44
RandomPerson8008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRA/EDDF noise abatement requirements

Hello,

First off, my airline/operator does not operate into FRA unless it is used as an alternate, which is usually avoided if possible. We instead operate regularly to EDDK/CGN which has pretty strict noise abatement requirements and it is a big deal for the trainers; it's a huge focus of the training every year.

Recently we began conducting training exercises in the simulator for EDDF (diversion scenario) and I find the traininers are simply blindly applying CGN procedures to FRA. Namely:

220 max 190 knot minimum speed restriction between FL070 until 12 DME
A requirement to lower the landing gear at 2000 AGL or lower.
CDA requiring no less than 50 ft altitude change over 2 NM at all times for MD-11 and B747.

At FRA I do see the instruction to: "conduct the descent from FL070 as a continuous descent whenever possible". However I see nothing mentioned about specific altitudes for aircraft configuration, strict CDA definitions, or 220 knot speed restrictions, as I do at CGN. Are such requirements at FRA published someplace? I searched the manuals provided to me by my operator as well as the Germany AIP without finding any such speed or configuration requirements at FRA. Not that it would necessarily hurt anything to lower gear at 2000, but I don't think blindly applying the CGN 220 knot speed requirement to FRA would be very productive in real life. This is further complicated by a company-specific requirement to be fully configured prior to the final approach fix on non-ILS approaches, "except when operationally required" as is the case for CGN.

Thanks!