PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA CLASS 5 Medical self-declaration - from 9 FEB 2024
Old 17th Feb 2024, 06:40
Clinton McKenzie

Received 255 Likes on 125 Posts
I take your point and agree with it, Sandy. My words you quoted were not well expressed. I should have said: In my opinion the primary benefit of AvMed being abolished would come from pilots being more willing to have more frequent and frank discussions with medical professionals, without the fear of damaging AvMed overreactions. Whether that would causally change accident and incident rates would remain to be seen.

There's lots of evidence to show that people who don't currently need or hold AvMed certificates, and the medical professionals from whom those people seek advice, are capable of producing an outcome that doesn't include pilots suffering sudden incapacitation from undiagnosed and untreated medical conditions at a rate higher than the holders of Class 1 or Class 2 medical certificates. (I always take any opportunity to remind everyone: Passenger jets share the uncontrolled skies with aircraft that are not certified by CASA, and piloted by pilots who are not licensed by CASA nor medically certified by CASA, and that's gone on for decades; as has the operation of aircraft inside controlled airspace by pilots without CASA medical certification.)