PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thai ditches Rolls engines and goes with GE
Old 16th Feb 2024, 21:11
India Four Two

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts
When I spent time working in Indonesia about 30 years ago, I was given strict guidance - to the effect that if they found out I'd bribed any Indonesian officials, I'd be fired - no ifs, ands, or buts...
I also worked in Indonesia, about ten years before you, tdracer. The oil company I worked for had a similar policy. I had to sign a document indicating that I would abide by the policy. Luckily there was a significant 'but' in the policy. 'Facilitating payments' were allowed to grease the bureaucratic wheels, so I never had any problem with work permits (KIM-S).

An interesting example of this policy was how to obtain a driving licence. For next to no money, you could hang around the Jakarta police headquarters for a couple of days, going to various offices, getting paperwork stamped and doing a driving test.

For $100, you could go there with a minder and complete the process in a couple of hours, without taking a driving test. For $300, you could skip the visit and have the licence delivered!

Out of curiosity, I took the cheaper option. One part of the process was a multiple-choice exam on the Indonesian traffic rules. It had been so badly translated into English, that it was impossible to understand. Luckily, a helpful policeman stood by my desk and pointed out the correct boxes to check!