PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - War on woke
Thread: War on woke
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2024, 18:33
downsizer

Received 118 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadstool
In my opinion no. There is a lot of discussion about woke from ex serving members and civilians who used to support ex serving members. All of that is disparaging about woke. Quite simply, woke is all about not being a ****. There are very few serving members who agree with this old anti woke brigade. Annoyingly, those ex serving members or civilians who have delusions of grandeur about being de facto officers have absolutely no idea what the forces are like now. Ironically, those people who decry woke think that being homophobic, sexist, racist et Al was just par for the course but somehow was great for unit cohesion. As someone who served back then and is still serving, I can categorically state that things are better now. Stop being a **** and look after your people.
As I've said before I was discharged in May 23, and this so called "woke" agenda wasn't in my reasons for PVRing....I can totally agree with the bolded bit. Is it (was it - I guess as I'm out) perfect, no of course not. But a lot of the unsavoury things I saw "back in the day" didn't happen anymore and all the better for it.

I'm not in the least bit afraid to admit that I engaged in activities that make me cringe today, but as a young immature individual who wanted to fit in, I didn't see the problem at the time. When I left I'd have never let some of those things happen to anyone who worked with me.