PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EVTOL news and progress - do we need a new dedicated section?
Old 16th Feb 2024, 14:20
wrench1

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Winemaker
An issue here is what market will this serve?
The UAM market, which has been around for decades but had no viable vehicle/aircraft to serve it at the street level until. That is until the eVTOL technology evolved to its current level. There are a number of large metropolitan areas globally that have had a UAM plan ready for years. Now those plans are being dusted off and put into place.

As to cost, I believe the target for a number of eVTOL providers is the similar to Uber Black costs which I think is around $7.00 USD per mile. But I believe your pax number is a bit low. UAM will not change the existing spoke and hub system, it will merely supplement that system with a new level of service that will be easily accessible to many more people. So the projected usage numbers are in excess of the 83M in the US with higher percentage increases overseas.

If you want more details there are plenty of AAM, UAM, and RAM studies out there with the EASA and FAA having some in-depth ones.

Last edited by wrench1; 16th Feb 2024 at 14:50.