PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATO vs Russia
Thread: NATO vs Russia
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2024, 09:41
henra

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ORAC
“The question is: under what political and financial conditions would Paris and London be prepared to maintain or expand their own strategic capabilities for collective security? And vice versa, what contribution are we willing to make? When it comes to peace and freedom in Europe, we must not shy away from these difficult questions.”…..
I think in case that Orange guy should get the opportunity to enter the Throne again (and consequently possibly leaving NATO or at least dropping from commitments) Europe will have to seriously rethink it's Geostrategic approach. Including a significant increase in Nuclear Warheads and Carriers. MAD will have to be assured from UK + FR (+ possible nuclear sharing of their assets by other European Countries). And: Yes the costs for this cannot be taken by UK and FR alone. I would asumme something in the Ballpark 1000 major nuclear warheads would be a good target. Mainly strategic Nuclear weapons. For tactical ones I see only limited use. A handful of them should sufficient. Once the 10th tactical nuke has been fired it's anyway time for the final. They don't have a real military pupose any more. There will be no (and as we now learned never really have been) 30.000 Modern Tanks rolling through a narrow western Germany and needing immediate stopping.
Practical difficulty may be that UK doesn't have Aircraft deployed nuclear bombs/missiles and the French nuclear bombs won't be easy/possible to integrate into F-35. Either Countries buy Rafale or they just get 'assurances' by France/UK for a financial contribution. It is a bit sad that these thoughts have to be intensified but looking at the late statements of that guy in the current situation it would be a big risk not to prepare for such a possible scenario. Russia will only respect if they have to fear complete and terminal destruction.
On the conventional side if Poland and to some extent Germany stick to the Up- Arming and Ammunition production plans I'm not so concerned. But the European Nuke stick needs to get way bigger. I don't understand Stoltenberg's reluctance on that topic. The message from Captain Orange was clear: If you nuke Europe, we won't nuke you.

Last edited by henra; 16th Feb 2024 at 09:55.