PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buddy Holly anniversary and the perils of IMC
Old 16th Feb 2024, 06:01
DAHenriques

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Fl1ingfrog
Is it that important to have a colour scheme; brown for terra firmer and blue for the sky? Although helpful I don't believe it is critical and therefore will make loss of control more likely. Disorientation and a loss of confidence with training can be overwhelming and lethal. The effects of disorientation should never be skimped during instrument training. The human senses are useless in IMC. In my experience too many are resistant to this fact and therefore it must be proven and resolved in flying training. To the cynic the classroom is not enough.

The V tailed Bonanza is an incredibly stable aeroplane. Not to be forgotten is that it is equally stable in all attitudes. In a dive with the airspeed increasing and rapidly approaching VNE, the Bonanza can be difficult to recover from the dive to normal flight. This is not a time to experiment and training must be followed.
The Bo was and is an exceptionally clean airplane and as such is especially susceptible to nose down mishandling in IMC by inexperienced instrument pilots.
Many Bo fatalities were the result of a nose low condition with rising airspeed requiring pilots to cancel bank before applying pitch to recover and they failed to do so. Bank MUST be cancelled before pitch is applied in a nose low condition as we all know..........or damn site SHOULD know !!!!!!!
There is no way to know if this was a factor in the Holly incident but considering the pilot's inexperience certainly a potential factor. Personally I would be leaning heavily toward the ADI reverse visual face as a primary suspect coupled with the pilot's low experience level.
As a flight safety advisor I find it inexcusable that the industry allowed a non-standard protocol for ADI's during the period. That was an accident waiting to happen.
The ball was REALLY dropped by this factor.
Dudley Henriques