PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EVTOL news and progress - do we need a new dedicated section?
Old 16th Feb 2024, 02:00
Winemaker

Received 215 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by ETOPS
Joby Aviation press release about Dubai operation

Whilst I fully agree that this is a bit “showcasing” by Dubai it will, nevertheless, give Joby a real world test of their capabilities. A number of rotations around these short hops without recharging should reveal actual endurance and operability.

https://www.jobyaviation.com/news/jo...i-service-uae/
An issue here is what market will this serve? Most airlines passengers are not rich persons able to afford the luxury of an EVTOL ride to where ever, they are people visiting relatives or going on vacation et al. My point is that the development and implementation of these aircraft, which honestly seems unlikely by the numbers, benefits and serves a very small portion of the traveling public. Yes, electric craft would be nice assuming the infrastructure for generating the electricity to power them is some sort of green generation, but with 83 million passengers in the US last year, what impact will these possible craft have on fuel consumption vs driving to the airport? Seems like a rich persons limo.