PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA CLASS 5 Medical self-declaration - from 9 FEB 2024
Old 15th Feb 2024, 19:15
Clinton McKenzie

Received 255 Likes on 125 Posts
On the issue of 'consent', I've complained to the OAIC about CASA's use of our sensitive medical information in studies. (You know that we 'acknowledge' that it happens each time we complete our medical applications/renewals/examinations, don't you.) CASA says it's allowed to do that, because the information is 'deidentified'.

I made an FOI request for access to documents showing CASA's procedures for de-identification, records of audits of compliance with those procedures and of 'penetration testing' of the system, consistent with OAIC guidance. Not a single document was produced. We are talking here about the most sensitive of our personal information: medical information.

And this assumes CASA's functions include doing or arranging medical studies using the information. I can't find that function in the CA Act. My fitness to fly is not affected by what CASA does with the information I submit.

But CASA doesn't care. We're just AvMed guinea pigs.

Have a look at what the DVA was discovered to have been doing with veterans' information, and the dishonest way in which DVA responded: Government shared veterans’ confidential medical data
The following 4 users liked this post by Clinton McKenzie: