PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need a Nav Aid, area nav, engineer, model train fan? Somewhat OT
Old 14th Feb 2024, 23:24
John Hill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a Nav Aid, area nav, engineer, model train fan? Somewhat OT

I have some ESP32 and ESP8266 micro devices which are quite small (not really tiny) and include WiFi and various analog and digital IO.

We also have a Lego train layout (think size of double garage). Obviously I need to tool up these locos to report their position on the layout and to accept commands from Central Train Control. Reporting and control via wifi is known science but I need to work out a system whereby the position of the trains can be determined, either have trains find their position and report or some remote system determine the position(s).

OK, bar code, RFID, yeah maybe but not very flexible. Camera in the ceiling, OK, but problem at a public display in a hall or suchlike.

So I need an engineer who is familiar with area navigation systems that can be scaled to the distances. Hmmm, how about those WWII era parabolic systems such at LORAN et al? Two pingers at the side and the train detects difference in travel time (phase angle). Do I need VHF/UHF or go the other way to low HF? The trains are not always in sight so that rules out infra red and ultrasonics(I think).

So, using wifi, my notion is that there are two receiver antenna off to the side of the layout. Central control would 'poll' a loco which would respond and Central would triangulate the loco position by comparing time of arrival at the two antenna. I think I might actually need three antenna, whatever.

I wonder where I can find an engineer join the dots and colour in the squares?
Thanks