PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC contributed to 15% of flight delays in December
Old 12th Feb 2024, 22:25
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by ReportVisual
It is obvious to everyone that this is organized. Sydney had only 2 shifts to cover and no one would agree to reasonable overtime as required in the EBA.
Air Services needs to start motivating those who do not enough over time by rejecting pay scale increases and leave requests.
Could it be that everyone in the TCU has been doing OT to keep the place moving and they are burnt out and simply said FU? Time you read the tea leaves and understand that we would prefer a mentally prepared and well rested ATCO on the console than one who is there because they're being forced to work due to system shortages and an EA that says "You must do OT". While you're at it, perhaps you could answer my question above about what the courts have held "Overtime" or "reasonable overtime" to be - and whether you can be compelled to work beyond your ordinary-time hours on your RDO's.

Even if it was organized - and I don't believe for a second it is even though they'd have my full support if that was the case! - so what? Overtime hours are not ordinary time hours, they're voluntary, and even if you did try to enforce a Controller to do OT, they're still within their rights to refuse any particular OT shift if it doesn't suit them. The fact they're sooo short of staff they couldn't fill it, even with OT payments should be a pretty good indicator of just how short they are.

Speaking from experience, someone is always after OT, even if it's the graveyard shift. That no one took not one, but two shifts, speaks volumes.