PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iran
Thread: Iran
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2024, 19:24
Lonewolf_50

Received 486 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by ORAC
Various reports that U.S. Defense sources have said that plans are in motion for the complete or partial withdrawal of U.S. forces from Eastern Syria and Iraq.
The Iraqi parliament is currently voting on a law to require the U.S. to withdraw from Iraq as soon as possible.
Timescale for the withdrawal is given as within the next 90 days, depending on the level of withdrawal.
I would imagine the partial part involves Kurdistan where they want them to remain.
This came up about the day after the drone strike in Baghdad. Saw an article in FP about it, and it gives me pause.
Originally Posted by ORAC
Air defence systems operated by U.S.-led coalition troops based in eastern Syria halted six drone attacks targeting their base at the Conoco oil field on Saturday, a security source said. The source did not tell Reuters if there were casualties.
Coalition troops and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), who together fight remnants of the Islamic State group, have faced increased attacks by Iran-backed groups in Syria and Iraq since Hamas’s attack against Israel on Oct. 7.
So ISIS is still around. They ought to be foes of the Iranian backed militias. I guess they become the militia's problem if the US pulls out?
Originally Posted by DogTailRed2
Does this withdrawal impact the security of Israel?
It impacts the security of Iraq to a greater extent.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 13th Feb 2024 at 00:41.