PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod recce of Argentine coast 1982
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2004, 17:20
Navaleye
Suspicion breeds confidence

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Nigel West book

Yes, thanks I have it but haven't read it for sometime. I vaguely recall a court case where Mr West's character and reputation for accurate reporting was taken to pieces by a senior judge. I have taken his work with a pinch of salt since then. That said. he does have access to some folks at the centre of events at the time.

Jacko,

I'm very grateful to Orac for his post and published source. I have other equally well researched books on the subject that report events differently. The Fog of War creeps in everywhere. As a journalist, I'm surprised that you confuse my desire to get at the facts with single service bias. I have no axe to grind. I have never met Sharkey Ward, but his book does provide very good material for any student of the subject. After all, he was there and you and I were not.

BTW, I would be interested in hearing others views on the best books on the subject. Ethell and Price scores very highly IMHO for detailed research not long after the event.

In the last month have read Adm Woodward's book (100 days), Amphibious Assault Falklands by Mike Clapp and No Picnic by Julian Thompson. I'm still struggling with the last one (you can tell its been written by a soldier) but you could be forgiven for think that these guys were taking part in different wars. This is why I am reluctant to take any one source as gospel.

Last edited by Navaleye; 27th Jan 2004 at 17:47.