PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whirlwind Helicopter
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2024, 16:31
sycamore

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts
That WW,XJ729 was at HQ SAR Wing at Fi`ngly,when I was the MTP `80-84`,and used as a `hack` by 22 Sdn Staff.On 16 Dec`81,I was ground-running it for a blade-change and `tracking`with the `FLAG`when the `flag-man` caught a `tip`,So it went back in the `shed` for a tip change or blade change..It was also the day that all WWs were to be grounded,(in UK),but HQ SAR had been trying to counter that because it was a very useful CAB`,for visits,etc, plenty of spares,etc,etc..Next day,the blade had been changed,so we did a further `track`,all OK,when to my `total surprise` we developed a bout of `ground resonance`,and I `HAD` to get airborne,for 5 minutes(FOR THE LOGBOOK) to calm myself down...!! in 1600 hrs on WW,3,7 ,9,10`s never had this happen before,and on such an occasion ! After landing safely,and having a coffee in my office,in marches SENGO,and his cohorts,very disgruntled,and lots of `blah,blah,grounded aircraft,etc,blah,blah...eventually the carpet shuffling stopped,they all had a coffee,and we all became friends again....
Anyway ,729 still lives on with the guys at Chard,even if it`s got the wrong intake fitted,,,,,
The following users liked this post: