PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buddy Holly anniversary and the perils of IMC
Old 11th Feb 2024, 19:21
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
The report on this accident makes for interesting reading as, to my mind, it seems somewhat flawed.

For a start the 'synopsis' delivers a rather damning conclusion that is almost emotional in its delivery, rather than merely factual.

Accurate detail on the pilot is lacking. For example the report states "He had ... accumulated 711 flying hours, of which 128 were in Bonanza aircraft ... had approximately 52 hours of dual instrument training and had passed his instrument written examination", but what does this mean? Had he had 52 hours of IFR training and this was his first solo flight? Had he 52 hours of IFR time in total? Had he not yet passed the IFR flight examination (to accompany the written exam)? An earlier sentence suggests this is the case "He failed an instrument flight check on March 21, 1958, nine months prior to the accident", but the reader is left to wonder whether he had perhaps completed a later check?

The report also appears to have a narrow focus and does not examine other peripheral factors such as fatigue, nor the responsibility of Hubert Dwyer (the a/c owner and charter service operator) as employer of the pilot. Admittedly I read between the lines here, but I cannot believe that Dwyer, who was present during the whole sorry affair, didn't know that the pilot had (we presume) no IFR license. As I see it if he (Dwyer) had no properly capable pilots available he should have refused the charter, and in accepting with (I believe) the knowledge that the pilot wasn't properly certificated nor experienced - and thus shouldn't be flying his a/c - he becomes at least partially responsible for the deaths of all four occupants. Dwyer's experience isn't specifically stated in the report so again one is left to guess, but as "a certificated commercial pilot, the local fixed-base operator at the Mason City Airport, and owner of Bonanza N 3794N" one might expect the pilot to look to him for advice. To my mind this adds significantly to Dwyer's culpability.

Finally I see that in 2015 there was a suggestion that the NTSB reopen the investigation. As far as I could find this hasn't happened; maybe it never will but I do wonder if full disclosure of source material might allow a better understanding of the lead up to the event than is presently the case?

FP.