PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA CLASS 5 Medical self-declaration - from 9 FEB 2024
Old 11th Feb 2024, 02:48
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by thunderbird five
There's another insidious thing or seven in CASA medicals Clint, more "do not pass go, do not collect $200":

Applicant's declarations: I authorise:
1. CASA to seek medical information in relation to me from any medical practitioner who has treated me, from medicare health records, and so on.
There is no option to proceed with your application without agreeing to this. Is that some sort of blackmail or coercion?
And what happened to Doctor-patient confidentiality?
I'm sure if any doctor was asked by CASA "giz a look at their file" would say - "you know what, how does NO sound?"
I'm sure the Dr would ask your consent to hand it over first, to which you'd say "you know what, how does NO sound?"
What happens then? Or if the doctor says sure CASA, but let me prepare an estimate for you, or, MY costs will be $300 an hour to do this for you, (seek patient permission) with a minimum 4 hours payable. Cash or Card?

And the next one:
All information provided by me in this application is true and correct and that I have read and understood the Guidelines – Medical Assessment for Aviation and the operational limitations.
These guidelines are 142 pages long and the only ethnicity mention (but not by that word) is the acknowledgement of country.
I very much doubt declaring your "ethnicity" is a criteria within CASR Part 67. Just like declaring your height and weight isn't in there either (last time I looked).
Which sums up perfectly why we would be better off with ABSOLUTELY NO CASA Avmed involvement but instead have CASA accept that a pilot could be examined and certified fit by a GP. It’s good enough for certain commercial road transport and maritime tickets. The State and National authorities of those sectors don’t question GPs but trust in their integrity.
Instead we still have CASA’s hands all over this.
I am reminded of that ancient Chinese curse: “Be careful what you wish for….”
The following users liked this post: