PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not getting enough flight training in flight school
Old 10th Feb 2024, 23:00
AlwaysWondering

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oildrip
"Ive already spoken to everyone who I can about this matter all the time, most of them known for getting things done. Going in to plan for flights I wont get is not going to help in any way, and they wont just assign me flights for the sake of it unfortunately. t
Thanks for providing updates on her situation. I really feel for her. Too many in flight training world have, sadly, been in the same situation.

Especially in the world of integrated training. Glossy magazines and slick sales teams mean very little in reality. When times are good, few schools are capable of training the number of candidates the sales team sign up. Given your comments on weather, if it's the school I am thinking of, they also have a lot of tagged airline cadets who receive priority due to stiff penalties they agree to with the sponsoring airline. All things the sales team will, of course, not tell you.

Though, having been on both sides of the desk, I think she/ you have a misunderstanding on the best approach. Perhaps she has just given up (and your post certainly makes it sound like she has. ''Going in to plan for flights I wont get is not going to help in any way'' is total nonsense I'm sorry to say), but giving up/ going legal isn't the right way to go. This sounds a bit harsh and it's obvious this has been going on too long which is disheartening, but she really has few other options.

She needs to become a de facto part of the operations/ planning departments. As I said, a constant positive presence with polite pester power. Everything done quite informally. She should chat with everyone. Become 'friendly' with everyone. She should be on first name terms with everyone and everyone with her. She should soon find out what is going on and find she is getting a few more slots than she used to.
And how is she trying to backseat flights? In my experience, going through ops is not the way. The best ways are, one, doorstepping instructors just before they fly with a students and, two, chatting to other students asking them if it's OK to backseat and then going through their FI. Again, just my experience.

Also, what is happening with her coursemates? Are they training at the same pace or are some racing ahead? Has she spoken to them?

I think this thread should serve as a warning to others.
- Don't get taken in by a good sales team or nice marketing.
- Remember modular is usually a lot cheaper and gives a lot more flexibility than integrated. It is likely the best option for most. Despite what the slick sales team told you...
- Do thorough online research, but take everything online with a hefty pinch of salt.
- Try to make lots of friends/ acquaintances in the aviation world. A personal review is worth twenty online ones.
- Visit the school you're thinking of training at.
- Look at the school, planes, classrooms, offices, ops department etc.
- Speak to current students outside of the earshot of staff.
- Weigh up the pros and cons (every school has both) and go in with both eyes fully open.