PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not getting enough flight training in flight school
Old 10th Feb 2024, 15:37
Oildrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oildrip
Hi
First time on here and looking for some advice. My daughter is a cadet with a flight school and started the integrated course as she wanted to complete it in 18 months rather than drawn out. She felt it was better for her way of learning, intense and ongoing.
It was always a struggle to get the flight training, others steaming in and taking a place, weather issues, planes grounded, Instructors leaving or ill, the usual that ive seen others complain about, but she was meant to have finished before Christmas but is so behind and still is sitting in her digs just waiting to be scheduled each day. She is lucky to average 2 to 3 a month. Clearly she is worried, her hard spent learning is deteriorating with the lack of practise.

We are not well off, and in fact I sold my home to pay the fees and their are no more funds available, all savings have gone and she is living on air. I worry for her mental health, all the sitting and waiting to get her flight training to get her licence. She feels like she is missing all the opportunities to get a job, all she wants to do is to finish now and go earn some money.

I have asked her have they said they are holding you back for any reason, to which she has said no, or at least nobody has spoken with her about it.
She often emailed to remind them that she needed to be scheduled, spoken with instructors and other personnel but they say its not up to them. She needs to move forward or lose it.
If there is anyone that has over come this issue, or a staff member of a flight school that might point me in the right direction as to how to advise her to get these flights out of the school and finish the course I would be grateful for some advice.

Many thanks
Originally Posted by RichardH
Out of sight out of mind. AlwaysWondering is absolutely correct in the approach she needs to take.

Aviation training seems to be the exception to the rule of the 'customer is always right'. One of the problems being at the end of the course (particularly full-time) there will be reports written by the school & if you have in their view annoyed them it might not be particularly favourable. Yes I know it's wrong but I have seen it happen, so present polite persuasion is likely to get you further than resorting to threats & contracts.

I hope this thread serves as warning to integrated training & especially putting your house on the line.
Yes Im afraid this is what she is afraid of. over a barrel, just concerns me as to how long this can go on.