PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF to Restructure to Face China
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2024, 15:13
gums

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts
Salute!

Yeppers, reminds me of the Mountain "Goat" setup in the 90's. Had a neat flyby at USAFA for my 30th rejoin, and all the players particpated, but no tanker.

As Ops Plans for the 388th, I worked very closely with our own Logistics Plans dude as well as with various host base offices. If we had to go, then we used the host base for everything other than our pilots, maintenance and munitions. So a big deal was coordinating things and the various players were not under direct command of our wing. They were from another major air command - think legal, security, hospital, fuel, supply, pesonnel office and the beat goes on. Thank God the host base commander let us work directly with most of the other players, but one or two needed more control by him, like the security guys that had guns!

The Composite Wing at Mountain Goat was likely a nightmare from the logistics point of view, but not so hard for the mudbeaters, ECM and A2A squads. I don't know how Nellis did it, but I was a commander for only one big Red Flag mission and mainly did same as I did at Hill as far as support went. The base handled the details for the day's fuel and a lot of the munitions prep. But since we were not deploying, many folks were doing business as usual.

I like the employment concept of having Weasels, CAP and mudbeaters being together. And for awhile in '74-'75 our CSAR players were all together at Korat, but operationally were not all under our wing commander - the Sandy A-7's, F-4 A2A guys, the Jollies and the C-130 King bird plus Spec Ops 130s for refueling the Jollies and other stuff. Flight line looked like a base open house day.

Gonna be interesting, and I am glad the F-35's have decent legs.

Gums sends...