PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do so many people try to start an airline ?
Old 9th Feb 2024, 18:09
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Yes pug, I take your point. I have heard good things about J2 and if they have found / refound a market for a package - that is great. I do not usually book packages, as I've been independently minded all my life. Also, I have never had children. Mrs PAXboy does but they are grown up and make their own choices - not least as one of them worked in the travel market for a long time.

The short haul market is totally catered for and Europe is sorting out their trains. The medium haul has come within range of the LCCs due to the ER versions and I think very little new business to be found there. It is true that the long has been searching for a new format following: 1) the Laker era 2) the wide-body aircraft 3) ETOPS. But no one thinks there is a luxury market hiding in the rainbow.

I certainly admire FR for their clear stance on customer service. I suspect that they benefit from each year producing new customers, turned 18 and ready to put up with anything to get away from their parents. At the other end, some parents might then think that will travel in a different manner!

It looks as if the era immediately following deregulation was (shall I suggest) the 'Silver' era, following the Gold! Whether we have yet reached the Bronze age, it is too early to say!