PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Direct Entry Pilot
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2024, 09:46
Snr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrguy
Is commuting possible as a junior FO on the a320 at LHR?
70% on the 320 and commuting is a breeze for me. Helps that I live somewhere we night stop, and that I'm happy enough to work weekends and fly wherever I'm told. I try to block work together so quite often do 4-6 days at a time - max tours are 5 days so generally spend 1-2 nights in a hotel a week (eg. hotel, 3 day trip, hotel, 3 day trip, home). The 5 day tours go pretty senior, but 2/3 day ones are easy to get, and I'm starting to get the odd 4 day now too.

Days off between blocks can vary, but probably average 3 days over a month. Very occasional 1 day, sometimes 2, but also get the odd 4/5/6/7 as well. 13 days off a month is my average for the last 3 months with no leave. You're guaranteed 2 weekend days a month off now with a new agreement that was put in place, plus each leave block gets you two weekends off, and 6 Gold days whenever you need them.

If you are planning to commute from a night stop location this can make it even easier. I usually get 4-5 extra nights at home a month on night stops (getting paid for it too!).

Reserve isn't ideal, you'll have to potentially pay for a hotel for 6 nights, but if you're lucky you'll get used for a few tours. Any questions feel free to PM me