PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Baltic information
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2024, 05:36
lekker92

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Inverted.Panda
Yeah salaries haven't followed inflation and are on the low side. Especially for captains who get sent to Zurich ACMI all the time, away from families and for no salary incentive. That's the main driver of the low moral in the company. That and the management always pushing back, saying that if we're not happy we can leave, instead of trying to find some solutions. But colleagues are nice, most people are chill and fun to fly with, at least you have that.

But the salaries are enough to pay rent and utilities. That depends entirely on where you live and your lifestyle.
I pay 580 for a one bedroom apartment in Agenskalns, in a modern residence, and pay around 70 of utilities in summer and 150 in winter, living alone. The lowest FO salary in BTI (2800 net) can afford that. Even if you add the cost of groceries, fuel and some night outs, there should be some money left.
If you want to live in the city center, in a fancy apartment, party every day and already have debts from before, then yes the salary may be tight. But you're still not a homeless.
And what's wrong with taking the bus?
Oh yeah, I would have left already if they were fine not to pay the 3 years bond. Some pilots who could afford it, left after few months in AB
It's not that nice waiting at the bus stop at minus 20. Bus last stop is at Stockmann then you need to walk in the snow (snow in Riga lasts from November to early April)
If it fine to live in a small apartment with the basics, commuting with public bus, you could have that by working in McDonalds in any Western European country and you could afford a car without relocating to a country bordering with Russia with 6 hours of daylight and freezing cold.
You could ask why I took the contract at the first place... That time market was much worse and I was desperate