PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice to someone considering career change to pilot
Old 7th Feb 2024, 19:35
VariablePitchP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Careerchanger3
I am very keen to explore the opportunity to change career to being a pilot. I have friends who fly for a living, and can fund the modular route in the uk no problem. I am considering it as it seems an interesting job, and something that would suit me. I am not one of these people who is obsessed with planes, engineering and flying, it is more the opportunity for interesting work, and something that pays relatively well. is this reason enough to pursue a career change in this area, or should you be truly passionate about aviation?
Might have to disagree with rudestuff, possibly, and I do so respectfully!

‘It seems an interesting job’. Since when, yesterday. A few weeks ago? Since you were 5 years old? You don’t have to have always wanted to do it, I scoffed at the idea of flying commercial aircraft until I was in my 20s. But at some point it really does help if you become naturally obsessed, to a degree.

You don’t have to live the tech stuff, or the nighstops, or the flexible working etc. But there needs to be something about the job that fires you up. That gets you genuinely excited about doing the training.

Because there will be times when the training sucks. You’ve spent 2 hours planning an immaculate nav route and then the plane’s got a flat tire on your walk around. Engineer can’t be bothered to fix it until the next day, you feel a bit screwed over, and are just done with flying for that moment. Couple of dozen knocks like that and you’ll be in dire need of motivation.

Same when you need to work for peanuts in your first job being hammered around the clock for a low cost to get some time under your belt. Schlepping back from Malaga to land at 4am running on half a left over pesto panini that the crew have managed to save for you.

‘It seems interesting’ is a start, but not enough. If in 6-12 months you’re still wanting to do it, go for it. But if you start down this path and have a ‘meh’ point where you just can’t be bothered you’ll be £50K in the hole and have lost a year from your other career.

Best job in the world though, if you’re something like the right sort of personality. Worst job in the world if you’re not.