PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Age 67
Thread: US Age 67
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2024, 18:37
RandomPerson8008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parabellum;[url=tel:11592069
11592069[/url]]"Lastly, yes, many pilots already had to sit through 5 years of seniority stagnation 15 years ago when the mandatory retirement age was raised from 60 to 65."
That is a very novel way of putting it, '5 years of seniority stagnation'. For most of my flying career the retirement age in the UK was 65, then quite suddenly, overnight almost, with no discussion with pilots and no lead time before implementation allowed the law was changed, arbitrarily, by the UK minister responsible, to a mandatory retirement age of 60, with no valid reasons given. Personally I lost five years of earnings at a near to top rate for a B747 captain, It may be called 5 years of stagnation for some, but to the industry as a whole it was five years of valuable experience overlooked. whilst for many of the pilots effected it was a torpedo right through the middle of our retirement plans..
ok, I didn’t know that happened in the UK but it sounds stupid. Why do politicians enjoy ******* with our careers so much?