PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COLD WAR VETERANS
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2024, 16:00
huge72

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
This campaign has been going on since 2004 as far as I know under the guise of the National Defence Medal. It has been through at least 3 Medal Reviews and each time it has failed. This campaign has however high lighted some that have been successful, i:e Artic Star, GSM (Cyprus) and more recently The Atomic Tests Medal. The same reasons of lack of medallic recognition has been given with all the arguments here. It is doomed to failure precisely for the reason of lack risk and rigour. I understand the frustration felt by the COLD War Warriors but there will always be some who miss out. There have always been arguments over whether some should or some should not. I am one of the quoted 300000 GSM (NI) recipients. I spent nearly 9 years over the water as a crewman flying in South Armagh but I am no more worthy than a clerk behind the wire in Aldergroves General Office. The criteria is laid down and the medal office sticks to it. I retired in 2010 after nearly 40 years and have gone on to complete another 13 years as Commissioned Staff in the ATC. I presently have 11 medals and 3 extra bars, not for being brave but just in the right place at the time. Therefore from a position of having had recognition I support the campaign, so that those that haven't may be recognised in some way but as I have said sadly it is doomed to fail in the end.